Car Travel Tips


As the holiday season is upon us, here’s a couple of travel tips that may help you get about more easily. From 8 June, the DVLA is abolishing the paper counterpart of the UK photocard licences. All endorsements, such a speeding offences, will be held electronically. If you commit an offence you will still have to pay any applicable fine and submit your licence to the court, but endorsements will no longer be recorded on the paper counterpart. You can view your record online, or request a copy by post (see and type ‘View your driving licence information’ in the search box).

All of this means if you want to hire a vehicle, then you will no longer be able to show your paper counterpart or paper licence (pre- 1998). Instead you must obtain a unique access code (which expires after 72 hours) from the ‘Share your Licence’ online service and give this to the hire company along with the last 8 digits of your driving licence number. Alternatively you can call DVLA on 09061 393 837 and give permission for your driving record to be checked verbally by a nominated person/organization, but this may be difficult overseas or out of hours. A video explaining it all is available at

Closer to home, did you know that Cumbria County Council have a ‘Highways Hotline’? Phone them on 0845 609 6609 to report potholes, faulty traffic and street lights, anything to do with the condition of our roads. It’s helpful if you have the precise location and the 3 number digit on the nearest lamppost. You can also report online, go to click on ‘roads and travel’ then ‘report a problem/issue’.

Free, confidential advice and help is available from South Lakes Citizens Advice Bureau on any aspect of debt, benefits, housing, employment, consumer problems and any other problems. We have various outlets across South Lakeland and can also give advice over the phone – telephone 015394 46464 for an appointment and help.

(Please note: Views and opinions expressed by third parties, as guest posts or links, are not the views and opinions held by Citizens Advice, or the Bureaux involved in producing Campaigning Cumbria. This blog is intended as an information resource to show the type of evidence we are looking for, and the sort of changes to social policy and welfare that might impact those living in Cumbria, and to allow local people and policymakers have their say. It is not intended to provide advice, guidance or information.)